Dental hygiene

According to Penn Dental, poor oral hygiene allows harmful bacteria to multiply in the mouth and enter the bloodstream, which causes systemic inflammation and increases the risk of chronic conditions throughout the body, including heart disease, diabetes, and respiratory issues.

About 3 weeks ago, I had the most horrible toothache I had ever experienced. It turned out that it wasn’t a toothache, but an inflamed muscle and ligament that sits in between your jaw bone. The hyoid bone sits below the lower jaw (mandible) and above the thyroid cartilage of the larynx, roughly at the level of the third or fourth cervical vertebra. Suspended entirely by muscles and ligaments, it tethers the tongue, larynx, floor of the mouth, and pharynx.

5 years ago, I started this experiment which ignited my curiosity, “What would happen if I only brushed my teeth once a day?” Around mid-2023, when I saw a viral video by a young man on Instagram sharing his story about why his teeth were rotten, I thought to lessen the frequency of my dental hygiene. I can’t seem to currently find the video anywhere, but I did come across an article where a man claimed that since Jesus never brushed his teeth, he shouldn’t have to either. His claim was dubious because during the first century, people cleaned their teeth using frayed chewing sticks and abrasive tooth powders made from crushed materials like ashes, eggshells, and pumice. Ancient China used brinjal to create a paste to keep their teeth from decaying. 

I also found another social media video about a young adult man who confessed that he doesn’t brush his teeth after eating because he wants to savor the taste of his favorite food in his mouth. I came to find out from a different dental article that you must wait at least 15 minutes before brushing your teeth after every meal.

I also learned that you can use your drinking water to swish food around after chewing your food.

The last time I visited the dentist for preventative maintenance was around April or May 2024. Needless to say, the current dental office who examined the health of my dental hygiene the other day, concluded that my experiment should cease.

I would definitely agree with the staff at Royal Oak Dental. Since my aunt is a dental hygienist, I should give her a testimonial of a lifetime! 😆🤣🤣🤣

When your mouth is healthy, it reduces the risk of developing cavities, gum disease, tooth loss, bad breath, and other oral health problems. Taking care of your mouth can reduce the risk of developing serious health problems and improve your quality of life.


The first sign of diabetes is bad breath. My father refused to brush his teeth every day - especially not wanting to do the recommended teeth brushing twice daily, for 2 minutes after each meal or whenever dental hygiene is necessary. His breath was so bad, I honestly believe it could make a skunk run away. 


His health deteriorated drastically after being diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes and high cholesterol at the age of 37. His self-care habits were not the only ones that traumatized me when I was an adolescent. My mother’s dental hygiene wasn’t as important to her as it was for her own children. She would gather horrifying health stories and share it with me and my siblings. 


I definitely did not want to lose any teeth. However, that didn't turn out to be the case. My mother forced me to have braces because she said I was ugly. I didn't know at the time that she had asked the orthodontist to shave down my sharp canines during my dental appointment for a cleaning. As a person with mysophobia, I learned to keep my personal items to myself and separate it from everyone else's belongings, who might think I enjoy sharing them. Basically, any items that touched my body, especially my mouth, is mine.


I became a germaphobe because I suffered from a fungal infection that was caused by being handed down clothes from my father when I was 12 years old. The infection was so bad the doctor had to scold my mother for worsening the condition by not buying new clothes for me. One of the housekeeper my parents hired, whenever she did the laundry, would include my father's soiled underwear with my clothes in the washing machine. Not many 12 year old like I was, would have made a dramatic scene about washing fecal matter in a washing machine. She was embarrassed when I asked her in her own language, "DO YOU WASH POOP TO WEAR THEM?"


Hygiene has always been important in my life. This little experiment taught me a lot more than what any medical professional would care to ever edify their patient in the Philippines. 

I remember the first time I met my uncle, who was married to my Hygienist aunt, when my immediate family emigrated us to the USA in 1999, I thought he was being cheeky for telling his patients that I have the best teeth he’s ever seen in his dental profession.

Hearing the same compliment from another dental hygienist surprised me in a way that felt heartwarming. After all that time, my uncle was genuinely sincere and proud to have a relative with good dental hygiene. I don’t know if he would even remember having made that proclamation since he had a stroke.

I found out from the dental hygienist that there are community programs like Missions of Mercy and other non-profit dental care, such as High Point University Mobile Dental Clinic in North Carolina that provide no- to low-cost dental care for under developed communities.

To have a good dental hygiene, remember these things:

  • Minimize consumption of foods and beverages with high acidic content, artificial sweeteners, or chemical preservatives 
  • Brush your teeth for 2 minutes, twice daily 
  • Floss in between your teeth and gums after each meal 
  • Use mouthwash to help prevent plaque and tartar from forming on your teeth 
  • If you must have a cold drink with your hot meal, use a straw to limit the thermal expansion and contraction of your enamel. 
    • Once a micro-crack develops, it allows bacteria and acids to penetrate deeper into the tooth.
  • Visit your dentist for regular checkups and cleanings to catch any potential issues early.

The premise of this blog is to educate those who refuse to see the benefits of dental hygiene.

Having a bad dental hygiene doesn’t necessarily correlate with being destitute or grossly unhygienic. 

Self-care is essential to protect and improve your physical, mental, and emotional wellbeing. If you’re in a situation where self-care is neglected, it’s about time to start re-evaluating your environment and how you perceive reality.

It is better for you to take responsibility for your life as it is instead of blaming others, or circumstances for your predicament. ~ Dan Millman

What is your option to choose today? To live well or to die trying?


I opt to live well and I hope you do so too. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Before Matrimony and Marriage

A perfect human being

Relationships and Social connections